Who I am
I am a runner and coach based in North Manchester. My journey as a runner started in my early 40s when a friend persuaded me to give parkrun a go. Over the next couple of years, my desire to push myself saw me progress from struggling round parkrun to a 50 mile ultramarathon, as well as races of all types in between.
In the following years I have gone on to complete numerous ultras, including the Pennine Barrier, Cheviot Goat, Mid Wales 200 Miles, which I finished as 3rd lady, and Hardmoors 55.
On the other end of the scale, parkrun remains close to my heart and you will regularly find me participating as either a runner or a volunteer. Watching new runners progress over the weeks is a real joy and inspiration. I am active in my local running club as both a runner and coach and take part in fell-racing with them.
I am trying to do what I can to reduce my environmental impact, and believe that there are many things that we can do as runners to look after the environment and landscapes that we are so privileged to run in. I am delighted to be an ambassador for Greener Miles Running, a race event organiser which genuinely puts sustainability at the heart of what they do.
My Approach to Coaching
I believe that
- Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned athlete, running can have huge benefits to your physical and mental health. I will plan and adapt your training to enable you to get what you want out of it and ensure that you continue to enjoy your sport
- We all have the capacity to achieve far more than we think possible if we are willing to trust the process, train hard and push our perceived limits. I encourage athletes to dream big and then work with them to get them where they need to be
- Everyone is unique and should be treated as such. My coaching is never ‘off the peg’: I will develop training and support that is specific to you as an athlete and person and to your goals
- Many of us enjoy being part of a community, and train better as a result. I invite all my athletes to participate in the RWM WhatsApp group, where you can ask questions, access resources, and participate in discussions with other RWM athletes
- Running is a demanding, high-impact sport and Strength and Conditioning is vital to build strong, resilient runners. I include S&C in every plan, but I will always adapt this to suit your experience, needs and available equipment
- The more you commit, the more support I can give you. I love to get lots of feedback so that I can adapt your training, and I’m always happy to answer questions and develop resources when an athlete expresses an interest in a particular issue
Licenced Coach in Running Fitness (England Athletics)
Licenced Fell, Hill and Off-Road Running Leader (England Athletics)
Training Peaks Level 1 accredited coach
CIMSPA-accredited Strength and Conditioning Fundamentals Knowledge Specialist Award
Sports Physiology Level 3 Diploma with Distinction (endorsed by QLS)
Qualified Outdoor First Aider
Experience and Training
Active club coach to athletes of all abilities
Active club runner and ultrarunner
Runner with a passion for enabling others to experience the joy of their own running adventure
Fully Insured through England Athletics
Ultra running including multi-day events
5K to marathon for beginners, improvers and intermediate runners
Road, trail and fell running
Strength and Conditioning for runners
Over 40s runners